Wednesday, January 25, 2017

You are Loved, Therefore you Are





My prayer for all of us in this new year is that we stop competing in the puritan work ethic Olympics, whose mantra is "I do, therefore I am," and tell ourselves a new story, "I am loved, therefore I am." This changes things. We will still have projects to finish, food to cook, dishes to wash, hard things to work out, and laundry to finish. But those things are not who we are. As Fred Rogers reminds us in his perfect song, "It's you I like. It's not the things you wear. It's not the way you wear your hair, but it's you I like. The way you are right now. The way down deep inside you. It's not the things that hide you, not your toys; they're just beside you. It's you I like." Remember that you are LOVED by the God who is love, therefore you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment